Tuesday 30 August 2011

My Opus Magnum a.k.a. the reason I don't sleep well at night

I have had an idea for a novel ever since I was 17. The sudden illumination came during class (I must have been bored to the point of a nearly vegetative state) and I wrote down in 20 words what the story would be about on the last page of my biology book, between learning about the human genome and the heredity pattern for the sex chromosomes (how can one NOT get inspired???)


I told my idea to a couple of friends who all exclaimed their approval and said they would definitely buy my book once I had completed it, since my idea was original and it sounded like something they would like to read.

One of them, was actually so excited by the idea (an aspiring writer himself), that he eventually started thinking it was his and said so to some common friends of ours. I was of course appalled by this when I heard it, but since you can't copyright ideas, I just have to live with it now.

Eleven years later I still haven't found the way to incorporate my idea into a piece of writing that actually makes sense to me, since I still don't know how to tackle it and every attempt I have made so far to start writing my big novel has gone astray.

Until two days ago: I started writing a chapter and a rough plot line for my Opus Magnum (the fact that I haven't had a single piece of my writing published so far is of no importance whatsoever) and I felt like I was on to something. Today I continued my attempt to tame the unworldly beast of my imagination, but after I was done, I realised the story was taking on a course of its own, one that does not follow the original idea at the least.

So now I sit here and wonder whether I will ever write what I've been meaning to write for over a decade, or if I should just settle with the fact that it's just not meant to be and let the story take me wherever it wants to go.

Someone out there, in that big, scary world of ours feel the same? Or am I banging my head against the wall alone?



4 comments:

  1. Eliza - Do you know what jumped out of the page at me from this piece of writing? The line ---I realised the story was taking on a course of its own,---

    If the storyline is leading you on its own course, let it go for You never know where it may lead. Dont lock it away as your subconscious may well surprise you. Even if it subsequently dies out, save what you have written as it may come in useful further down the line.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin, I appreciate the words of encouragement. I will follow your advice and see how it goes. So far I haven't written much anyway. Maybe the words will speak for themselves!I don't even know what to kind of category the novel falls under. But I guess I shouldn't bother categorizing it before it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have a story line that has been with me since I was 12! I have 3 chapters written and love them but can't seem to go any further! So my heart and hopes are with you all the way. Let it write out and see where it goes. I have put mine in the computer airing cupboard for another day and am now embarking upon an entirely different novel, but your piece has made me remember my first love as an unpublished author!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thinkg every aspiring writer has probably struggled with the same problem at some point. I wish you the best of luck with your new novel!

    ReplyDelete