Tuesday 4 December 2012

How to get over the post-NaNo blues

Ever since NaNo ended, I feel depressed.

The feeling resembles the kind of dull numbness after an amazing party that had you dancing in the backdrop of the perfect blue sea of the Mediterranean, while watching the sun rise (memories of Galea come rushing back for those of you who were there and danced to "Sunglasses at Night" with me :)). 

Right now my mood resembles the aftermath of that party. I feel tired, empty, exhausted and highly unmotivated to do anything productive. Up until yesterday I hadn't written a single word, or read anything apart from Facebook messages and posts. 

I want to get back that exciting feeling that kept me going during NaNo. So, I devised a plan, to avoid getting sucked into a hole of watching senseless YouTube videos, while painting my toe-nails and thinking about all the goodies I will be eating over the holidays (I give myself an almost free-pass that time of year).

THE PLAN

1. Keep writing

Even if it is just 500 words a day. Start small. You will get there eventually.

I am in the process of writing my first short story in a very long time as well as drafting characters for a second project I have in mind. So far, it has helped.

2. Keep reading (different genres, different books, different authors)

I want to read a gazillion books next year.

Some for research purposes, some because I stumbled upon them and they sound awesome, and some because they are classics and I want to know why.

Whatever the reason for reading though, I have made  myself a promise: I will no longer read books that don't draw me in immediately.

I have enough on my plate already, so any book that doesn't grab me by the neck and make me want to read it, is off the question. Yes, a little tough love is a must sometimes.

3. Keep blogging

It helps with the CRAZY going on in my head. It helps with organizing thoughts, doing research and communicating with like-minded people.

I also happen to like it very much, so there you have it.

4. Do the research

It doesn't matter if it is about protecting yours and other people's rights when writing, how to get people to find you onlinewhat makes a good book cover, or how indie writers should behave as far as reviewing is concerned (a post that gave me plenty of food for thought).

Even if I don't have a specific project in mind, there are more than enough subjects to deal with when considering going down the self-publishing route and I want to have done my homework before I venture the big jump.


5. Do things that inspire you

And by that I mean anything that inspires you: Listening to music you love, reading, watching films, going for long walks, scuba-diving, eating, taking pictures... if it makes you think of new characters, settings, plots for your next project then it is good for you,


6. Remind yourself why you do this

It can get all too much sometimes: Trying to maintain a day-job, juggling family, keeping in touch with friends and other similar responsibilities along with cooking, cleaning etc.

Writing might suddenly get pushed down the priority list until it practically falls off the page. Don't let that happen.

For me that means remembering how I felt during NaNo. The intoxicating feeling of having created something was a better high than anything I've experienced so far (and this taking into consideration the Silver Star ride in Europa-Park I went on three times in a row, because THAT'S how good it was!).

I've wanted this ever since I could hold a pencil. It would be a shame to let life get in the way of me finally achieving it.

Do you have any plans for the NaNo-less December in front of you?




No comments:

Post a Comment