Tuesday 11 December 2012

The big 3-0

I recently turned 30. 

Contrary to popular belief:

1. I didn't turn to stone at the stroke of midnight
2. I didn't feel the significance of my instantly acquired wisdom suddenly weigh on my shoulders
3. I didn't cry myself to sleep longing for my youth back

Instead, I found myself looking forward to this birthday more than any other birthday in my life so far.  

I celebrated over the entire weekend (counting the dragging of my tired body on Sunday from couch to bed as one of the best parts of it) and felt more elated and happy than I have in a very long time. 

Sure, there might be the odd wrinkle here and there on my once elastic skin, I may regard knitting as being a perfectly legitimate pastime, and my ideal evening includes a relaxed drink, friends, a great film and good food: Sounds boring? Well, it's practically freaking Disneyland to me!

I left the nest, I lived alone, did the partying, the drinking, the flirting (awkwardly, yes –but I did try, in my defense–), the job-hunting, the stressing and everything else that is expected of a 20-something.

I didn't do those things because I was supposed to, they were my life for a great decade and I liked every single thing on that list (well, maybe the sleepless nights due to horrid project management work load not, but who wants to split hairs here?). 
Now I want to change gears and feel perfectly comfortable with that decision.

Entering the fourth decade of my life, means I have new priorities. These include:

1. Taking better care of myself (I managed to quit smoking and had two totally unnecessary organs removed from my body so far, so... yay me!)
2. Enjoying my family and loved ones more and showing how much I appreciate them (I tend to be somewhat challenged in that department)
3. Following through on my plans to become the writer I want to be 
4. Stop worrying about insignificant things
5. Learning how to roast the perfect stuffed turkey (I aim for the stars, I know) 
6. Being happy

So that's it. I would love to hear about your own experience  turning thirty. 

Until then, happy writing!





2 comments:

  1. Kudos!!! Officially though...you are now entering your...fourth decade :-) xixixixixixi shhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved turning 30. It seemed to mark a new chapter. Lovely blog, just one thing reach for the moon! Wishing you a belated Happy Birthday. Enjoy your third decade and good luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete