Tuesday 26 February 2013

Winter blues

I started and abandoned writing several posts since the last time I was here.

I know I shouldn't be neglecting the kind people who take the time to read my modest blog, but I couldn't gather up the courage to write anything remotely inspiring or interesting since December.

So today I decided to allow myself an online outlet for my winter frustration. I'll start this post by saying: 

I HATE this never-ending winter!! 


Snowland
With the exception of some days of drizzling rain and temperatures slightly above 0 °C, the landscape has been mostly white, with touches of deep, shitty grey. 

I like to reminisce about the one day we enjoyed the thrilling sensation of sun's rays on our pale faces. Oh the memories...

This cold numbs you to the core and drains you from all will to leave your home for anything that doesn't involve either the consumption of huge amounts of alcohol, or the dire obligation to earn money. As I am writing this I can hear my neighbour shuffle snow from our pavement; it is the sound of my morale as it is being buried under mountains of muddy water frozen beyond recognition.

The sky is all fifty shades of craptastic and I swear that if this goes on for another month, I will start wearing my fluffy, pink robe my friends describe as my crazy-unemployed-lady-attire 24/7 and stop showering in protest of these inhumane living conditions. 

The only thing that keeps me sane is the progress I have made with my manuscript and the wonderful online community I joined a couple of weeks ago.

I have been writing and critiquing other writers' work a little every day and have learned as much these past weeks as I did the entire last year. Also, as my novel takes place in Greece during the summer months, I get to mentally escape to a sunny, beautiful island when I settle down next to the radiator, with a cup of hot coffee and a blanket to warm my freezing feet. 

I feel confident about my first novel, even if it never gets to see the light of day. I am now in the process of revising Chapter 3, as well as rewriting some old short stories and getting some feedback on them. So far, the members of the community have been very kind to me (apart from one crit which I shrugged off) and have helped me to better many aspects of my writing.

A picture of the island where the novel takes place, Corfu

That's pretty much it for now. I will you leave you with a video that makes me think of driving down a long, winding road on the edge of a mountain facing the sea, as the wind caresses my face, making a wonderful mess out of my hair, and I taste the sea-salt with every breath I take. 


3 comments:

  1. i know that road, there is nothing like it summertime in greece, sending some warm rays your way x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa! I hope those rays reach me soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oje...Eliza und der deutsche Winter! Vielen Dank für den netten Blog, allein der Gedanke an deine schlechte Launebringt mich zum Lachen. :D :D :D

    Genieß die Tage in Athen...und speichere ein paar Sonnenstrahlen, wenn möglich.

    Liebe Grüße!

    ReplyDelete