Wednesday 21 November 2012

When the going gets tough...

First of all, I would like to apologize for my last post: It was self-indulgent and served no purpose whatsoever, other than to boast my ego, so...sorry.

This week has not been very good writing-wise. Sure, I have achieved the word counts I wanted to reach (I just finished typing the 37,350th word and am at page 70 of the manuscript) by sheer power of persistance. The puffy, pink cloud of the initial enthusiasm has become increasingly thin though, and my belief in what I have written so far has disappeared faster than you can say "NaNo".


I told Mr. Bunny alcohol is not the answer. He wouldn't listen...
The whole situation is quite sad actually: I slouch over my desk, check my facebook page, watch videos of John Green on YouTube and every now and then return to the blank page with a silent sigh as the once cotton-candy-like cloud is joined by other, darker, meaner clouds, forming what looks like a pretty big shitstorm coming my way.

My story seems plotless, as self-indulgent as my last post was, my characters have the depth of a pizza carton, the perspective of the narrative is as moody as my best friend's cat and I can't, for the life of me, see the end of this mess I've put myself into.

One of my worst problems is what others call the voice of the story. Namely, I have none. Well...not yet. I fight to find the right words, the right tone, the right order, the right ... everything.

So, I took a break, started reading "About a Boy", did some research and today I told myself to stop whining and just do it. Finish the damn thing. Even if it is the worst story ever written. Even if I read it and pull my hair in despair. Even if it is the literary equivalent of a car crash you can't look away from, I will finish the damn thing by November 30, because I know this is what it's supposed to be like.

I know the story sucks, it's OK. I have come to terms with the fact that I won't write the perfect novel in one month at the first try. That is not the point of NaNo. The point of NaNo is this: To finish the worst novel you have ever written.

I leave you with Philip Pullman's pep talk to NaNo Warriors across the globe. I read this and checked my desk for bugs after I was done: How could Mr. Pullman know I am at page 70 of the manuscript?
Because he has been there and done that. And that gives me hope.

Philip Pullman's pep talk


7 comments:

  1. Great post hun. Pull yourself out of that slump an write. Making the story good can come later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for finding the time to blog! You can and you will finish NaNo. You have come so far and you are nearly there. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dont forget the great thing about a first draft is you can change the bits you dont like keep going, I think most feel that way thats why i am jumping to a bit i want to write and not a bit i have to write, do what ever it takes to get it done , everything will be great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for obvious reasons wait for nano to be over before you start tweaking lol good luck

      Delete
  4. now it's not the time to judge your writing it's the time to just write the damn thing and in the end you can re-write it 100times until it becomes the way you want it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the relief at work!! Keep going and finish you are so right that is the point of the nano and I still bet it is a lot better than u think right now!! Keep going we're all with you. Gill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all very much for your words of encouragement! I will finish the worst novel I've ever written with a smile on my face :)

    ReplyDelete